Dennys: News Politics Comedy Science Arts & Food

Friday, November 27, 2009

A Prayer of Wisdom From An Unknown Confederate Soldier



Photo by muha... @ flickr

From Denny: Just found this lovely prayer poem reportedly from an unknown Confederate soldier. Whether this truly came from a Confederate soldier or not it surely is a beautiful piece, full of the wisdom of a life well learned.

It is amusing to note as well that how often it is, as we are developing in Life, that we ask for all the wrong things or ask for the right things with the wrong intentions. In the end, in spite of ourselves, so often it all works out right anyway! :)

The Wisdom Prayer

I asked God for strength that I might achieve.
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.

I asked for health, that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.

I asked for riches, that I might be happy.
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.

I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life.
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.

I got nothing that I asked for - but everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.

- Anonymous

*** Check out A Man in Love poem story over at The Social Poets today, go here.

*** Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Thanks for visiting!
Related Posts with Thumbnails